March 8, 2019
Effective immediately, the East Greenwich Township Police Department will be accepting all firearms applications electronically via the New Jersey State Police Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS). Please read this information for assistance with processing your application. The system is used to apply for the following:
Firearms Purchaser Identification Card ($5.00 fee)
- Must be 18 years old
- Allows purchase of unrestricted number of long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc.)
- No expiration
Permit to Purchase a Handgun (currently $2.00 fee for each permit)
- Must be 21 years old
- Allows purchase of handgun (one handgun permit, and only one handgun may be purchased every 30 days)
- Each permit expires 90 days after date of issue
Replacement for mutilated Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Change of address, sex, or name on Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
To access FARS and apply for any of the above, follow these steps:
Visit the New Jersey State Police FARS website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
Enter the ORI (originating agency identifier) number for East Greenwich Township Police Department: NJ0080300 YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THE FARS ONLINE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE PROPER ORI NUMBER
Complete the online application for the option that you wish to apply for. If you complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desk computer, you will NEED TO BE ABLE TO PRINT THE IDENTIGO FINGERPRINT FORM. If you fail to print the form, contact the East Greenwich Township Police Department and request a copy of the IDENTIGO form. Provide the Police Department the FARS Contributor Case # that begins with NJ______________. The CONFIRMATION NUMBER WILL NOT BE USED BY IDENTIGO OR THE POLICE DEPARTMENT ON THE IDENTIGO FORM, IT MUST BE THE CONTRIBUTOR CASE #
When completing the application you will need the email addresses of 2 reputable references. Your references can be family members.
You MUST appear at the East Greenwich Police Department to pay for your INITIAL Firearms Identification Card and/ or Pistol Purchase Permits immediately upon applying. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the FID Card/ Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4
Once your application is complete, a representative from the East Greenwich Police Department will contact you to retrieve you Firearms Identification Card and/ or pistol purchase permit documents. DO NOT CONTACT OR APPEAR AT THE EAST GREENWICH POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL ADVISED TO DO SO.
SOME TIPS FOR SUCCESS
* The online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN, so be sure to provide accurate personal identifiers, telephone numbers, and email addresses.
* You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process.
* If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for pistol purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the pistol purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will email the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
* All first time applicants must be fingerprinted by the NJSP designated contractor. Information regarding fingerprints is included in the automated confirmation email sent to you by the system after submitting your application.
* If you are required to be fingerprinted, you must do so within 90 days of submitting your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being purged, and you will have to begin the process over.
* If you have already been fingerprinted for firearms purposes in New Jersey, you will need to include your State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number in the application process. Your SBI number is six numbers and one letter (example 123456A) and can be found next to "NUMBER" on your NJ Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.
East Greenwich Township Police Department
Firearms Investigation Unit
159 Democrat Road Mickleton, NJ 08056
Office: (856) 423-4322 Fax: (856) 423-0635
Anthony Francesco - Chief of Police